Apr 6th, 2018
Matt and Steve discuss a movie so packed with nostalgia that it should have been called, “Remember that? The Movie!”. We also watched Pacific Rim: Uprising, the sequel made for China! Stay tuned to the end to hear more on Windy City Horrorama, What We Watched and What’s Next on the podcast.
Our Show Notes:
- 01:10 Ready Player One Trailer and Notes
- 14:10 Pacific Rim: Uprising Trailer and Notes
- 26:28 Nerd News: More on Windy City Horrorama Film Festival and What We Watched
- 33:05 What’s Next
Ready Player One (2018)
This movie is rated PG-13 with a runtime of 140 minutes and it was released March 29, 2018 in US theaters.
In the year 2045, the real world is a harsh place. The only time Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) truly feels alive is when he escapes to the OASIS, an immersive virtual universe where most of humanity spends their days. In the OASIS, you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone-the only limits are your own imagination. The OASIS was created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance), who left his immense fortune and total control of the Oasis to the winner of a three-part contest he designed to find a worthy heir. When Wade conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends-aka the High Five-are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIS.
- A better reality awaits.
- Break Free
Director: Steven Spielberg (Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Jaws)
- Zak Penn (Avengers, The Incredible Hulk, X-Men 2)
- Ernest Cline (Wrote the Novel this movie is based on)
- Tye Sheridan as Wade/Parzival (X-Men: Apocalypse, Joe, Mud)
- Olivia Cooke as Samantha/Art3mis (Ouija, The Signal, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl)
- Ben Mendelsohn as Sorrento (The Dark Knight Rises, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story)
- Lena Waithe as Helen/Aech (Master of None, The Chi, Dear White People)
- J. Miller as I-ROk (Silicon Valley, Cloverfield, Big Hero 6, Deadpool)
Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)
This movie is rated PG-13 with a runtime of 111 minutes and it was released March 23, 2018 in US theaters.
Jake Pentecost, son of Stacker Pentecost, reunites with Mako Mori to lead a new generation of Jaeger pilots, including rival Lambert and 15-year-old hacker Amara, against a new Kaiju threat.
Tagline: Rise up.
Director: Steven S. DeKnight (Produced Daredevil, Smallville and Angel) This is his feature-film directorial debut.
- Emily Carmichael (screenplay)
- Kira Snyder (screenplay)
- Steven S. DeKnight (screenplay & story)
- S. Nowlin (screenplay & story)
- John Boyega as Jake Pentecost (Star Wars 7 and 8, Attack the Block and Detroit)
- Scott Eastwood as Nate Lambert (Suicide Squad, The Fate of the Furious and The Longest Ride)
- Cailee Spaeny as Amara Namani (The Shoes)
- Burn Gorman as Dr. Hermann Gottlieb (The Dark Knight Rises, Crimson Peak and Torchwood)
- Charlie Day as Dr. Newton Geiszler (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Horrible Bosses and The Lego Movie)
- Tian Jeng as Liwen Shao (Kong: Skull Island, The Great Wall and Special ID)
- Jin Zhang as Marshal Quan (The Grandmaster and The Expendables 2)
- Adria Arjona as Jules Reyes (Emerald City and True Detective)